Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPSignatures

Rare & Hard-to-Find VSP/ASP Signatures116

Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Back in the day before grading companies and signature collecting; artists would often sign books on the interior to preserve the integrity of the cover art. Some of those artists and creators are no longer with us. Others are still alive but very difficult, if not almost impossible to get signatures from. Which rare & hard-to-find signatures are you most proud of? Stories and anecdotes are welcome.
Post 1 IP   flag post

L.B. Cole
Post 2 IP   flag post
Boris Vallejo

Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I had heard that Alan Moore is supposed to be very difficult. Not sure if this is still true
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Turners sig is not necessarily super rare but it's definitely not common either.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
I had heard that Alan Moore is supposed to be very difficult. Not sure if this is still true

@The_Watcher, You heard correct. Next to Steve Ditko, Alan Moore is the Bobby Fischer of comic book autographs. More rumors than facts. Moores autograph is quite rare, especially nowadays. He doesn't appear in public very often and when he does, I have heard reports that he does not like to sign anything other than what he is currently promoting. Personally I really just want him to sign my Swamp Thing 37 (already signed by Totleben, Bissette, Veitch, Wrightson and Wein) or a Watchman comic.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@RyanHicks AWESOME! I am not sure I have ever seen Michael Turners autograph before. That Red Sonja though... Cool!
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@RyanHicks That's an awesome book! I haven't gotten any of my Turner books authenticated but I'll dig through them when I get home tonight and post some of mine.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@RyanHicks That's an awesome book! I haven't gotten any of my Turner books authenticated but I'll dig through them when I get home tonight and post some of mine.

Post em when ya can, we love em all! Especially the hard-to-find ones
Post 9 IP   flag post
I apologize in advance, this is a big one. I think I'll ask the mods if they can allow spoiler tags to toggle stuff like this.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Zalgardos private msg quote post Address this user
love it Thank you for posting.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thanks! Seeing Michael Turner was one of the highlights of my yearly trips to comic-con
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Damn! Super jealous of this one, I just submitted one of these for regular blue label last week. Love this cover and really wish mine was signed. Congrats!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thanks! That is a great piece of pin-up art! One of my favorite covers from this batch is the Wolverine/Witchblade book. Simple triangular arrangement with a contrasting background. Simple but effective. Another favorite cover, but one I don't have signed is his Witchblade/Elektra variant.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
wolvie's claws are like 3ft long in that one book! I have never seen that cover before.
my exposure to him was unfortunately not too long before he died.

Maybe I am not remembering correctly but there are a few sig series Frazetta on CGC right?
Are there any Eisner. I went back on there and found a thread about someone having a green label but that is all I remember hearing about.
Are there any Eisner signed books that have been done by CBCS I wonder yet
Post 15 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Holy COW-A-BUNGA! You have a incredible collection there! Congratulations!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbsturgeon
wolvie's claws are like 3ft long in that one book! I have never seen that cover before.
my exposure to him was unfortunately not too long before he died.

Maybe I am not remembering correctly but there are a few sig series Frazetta on CGC right?
Are there any Eisner. I went back on there and found a thread about someone having a green label but that is all I remember hearing about.
Are there any Eisner signed books that have been done by CBCS I wonder yet

I currently have feelers out for both Frazetta and Eisner signatures. They both seem somewhat rare. I do recall seeing at least one Frazetta Signature Series though.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Oldbsturgeon lol yeah, his claws are overly long; you'll find no shortage of over-exaggeration in Turner's work.

@Odins_Raven lol thanks! I'd love to start getting these into VSP slabs. I should just start submitting like 1 or 2 books at a time and get them done over a few years lol.

Most of these I got in person. The remarked DF book came that way as did the gold signatures on the Retailer editions and the wizard Ace also came signed. Those use different, more written out signatures than the one I'm familiar with. I know artists may use different sigs for different uses and it might change throughout their career. Still, since I'm so unfamiliar with those sigs, my confidence in them being successfully verified is a little lower than the rest.
Post 18 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user

i am pretty sure someone out there is happy to know his ASM 300 got signed by Sam De La Rosa and J Scott Campbell.
Post 19 IP   flag post

Odd couple. Joe Kubert and Stan Lee collaborate on a Batman comic.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Brian private msg quote post Address this user

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector griff3646 private msg quote post Address this user

Signed by Alan Moore
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff3646

Signed by Alan Moore

AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! AWESOMENESS! That is the only Alan Moore signature I want. Kudos, you sir are most fortunate! My copy is signed by everyone BUT him lol.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian

NICE ONE!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user

Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Pontoon

THANK YOU FOR SHARING! This is an example of why I started this thread. That is incredible and on an early Spidey issue! Did you take the pictures and get the signatures? I would love to hear about meeting Steve and Stan back in '78. Is that Ditko with the pipe? Which convention was this? What are your plans for this book?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks! Glad you liked it.

The show was a tiny con at West Virginia University circa 1978, MonCon II. The fellow with the pipe is Harlan Ellison. This was back in the days when those guys would be just sitting at a 6’ folding table to sign, no handlers and with time to chat. Later in the weekend they each gave an address. One of these days I need to see if I can find the recording I made on my portable Tandy cassette recorder.

It’s my understanding that Ditko only made a few appearances at fan events/shows in the '60s before never doing it again. That ASM was purchased with the signature already there probably around ’77-’78. My plans for the book are the same since purchased: keeping it happy and snug next to my other Spideys in the short box.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Soma private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I apologize in advance, this is a big one. I think I'll ask the mods if they can allow spoiler tags to toggle stuff like this.

Dude awesome Turner sigs... Which just reminded my i have one! And with Civil War coming out... im thinking i should VSP this book sometime.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector mr_highgrade private msg quote post Address this user
The Ditko signature is sweet.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Muaythaiguy private msg quote post Address this user

Present by my wife
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 35 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?