Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedComics Pedigrees

Census timetable112

Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeffie
@CatmanAmerica Those points are good, but can be complicated. How can CBCS keep track of a book that's been cracked again and again because of having new artists sign the book over and over? Sounds tedious.

I'll be content with CBCS just showing a population of each graded CBCS book, because I can just look up CGC info if I need to, and judge the value by myself. And it's just a start, CBCS can choose to evolve their population database into an actual more-accurate Census that takes into consideration the reholdering and crack-and-sign instances.

The first rule of developing an honest census is realizing that it will never be 100% accurate. You have to work from reliable data and extrapolate based on likelihood.

While it is entirely feasible to develope totally separate census data at each third party grading facility, the reliability diminishes if competing data isn't taken into account.

This is less important with low and mid-grade books as fewer of those get resubmitted for potential grade bumping. However, submitting books to different third party grading services may produce duplications on a broader scale, and on frequently resubmitted high grade books it can skew numbers dramatically.

This is where a FC/BC image data base would prove useful for submissions of rarer/popular SA books and higher profile GA books that command high prices.

I'm not suggesting that building a reliable census data base would be easy, but if properly developed it's enhanced usefulness would be extremely valuable to the collecting community and a huge feather in the cap of the grading service constructing it.

Good points but probably easier said than done. I guess my main issue would be just how reliable is the data in the CGC census considering how many crack and resubs have been done without turning in the previous label? When the Manufactured Gold thread existed over at CGC and the database at NOD it was quite apparent that not only were there many instances of books exist twice, or more in the census but some were also losing their pedigree designation. The Curmudgeon's idea of fingerprinting books is more than possible but is it also something that can be done quickly enough that it will not hinder processing books through the facility.

How the heck would you get the two companies to even agree to share such data?

I really like your points and I had never even considered such things but just how feasible is it?

(Just as an aside because of the duplicate data points in the CGC census I don't trust know how much to trust it beyond a snapshot of what has flowed through the doors of CGC. I can bring myself to trust it enough to use it for marketing scarcity the way some have.)
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector captnwilli private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@captnwilli I believe yellow labels need to be cracked in the prssence of an AW, and remain with the raw book through the signing and submission process to maintain their validity on the older sigs? The big problem is CPRs (Crack, Press, Resubmit) and the old labels remaining in the system. I can't even phathom how such a problem would be solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@captnwilli I believe yellow labels need to be cracked in the prssence of an AW, and remain with the raw book through the signing and submission process to maintain their validity on the older sigs? The big problem is CPRs (Crack, Press, Resubmit) and the old labels remaining in the system. I can't even phathom how such a problem would be solved.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Sorry about the double quote. The guy at the CGC table was very annoyed that I wanted him to crack it open and the after running over to Desert Wind who was taking care of the Baltimore Comic Cons signature series books l handed them the then old label and as I turned away my daughter said "you know he just threw that in the trash basket, right?"
Post 28 IP   flag post
Come to think of it, DW didn't handle it that next upcoming year.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@captnwilli He threw a yellow label in the trash?
Post 30 IP   flag post

No the blue label that I gave to him to accompany my newly signed book back to CGC. I just figured that they (CGC) would want to see it to update the CGC census and then dispose of it themselves. But desert winds trashed it as soon as I was leaving their table. I guess DW couldn't care less about an accurate CGC census. Or for that matter any other accurate comic book census.
Post 31 IP   flag post
In all fairness to DW it was totally insane dealing with the public, wanting all those different signatures on what seemed to be mountains of books heading for grading. A daunting task for any company to perform.
Post 32 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@captnwilli I'd say, a daunting task is no excuse for not doing things the right way. Was throwing it in the trash really less effort than leaving it with the book? I'd argue it took more muscle movement and burned more calories reaching for the trash can than just letting it be.
Post 33 IP   flag post
My thoughts exactly! At that time I really wanted to say something but we were being moved along like cattle. I guess, too little too late. CGC has not used them at Baltimore to handle the signature series slabs since. They now continue to use their own people which seem like a small army. A much smoother operation since.
What's really got me on the fence as of lately is the whole CGC latest scandal/debacle about their cases and how they handled it. It's bothered me to the point of not re-signing up with them at this point. I've have a lot of books worthy of being graded and either staying in my collection or being sold into someone else's happy collection. I've got to make a decision soon.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
Also, if CBCS personnel themselves cannot start working on this because of grading priorities (that's what's generating income), shouldn't CBCS just pay for a Third Party vendor to design & implement the Census?
Much more practical, given the resourcing constraints they have? And they make a killing anyway, so more Operational Budget to use (all assumptions of course)
Post 35 IP   flag post
Interesting thought. In fact, couldn't we go even a bit further than just a "CBCS" census generated by a third party vendor? What about a third party company that designs and operates a census which could possibly include all slabed books and their respective companies. One census. One source. Keeping track of every slabed comic book out there! What? Too much to ask? Too soon? Your right, maybe baby steps first is best.
Post 36 IP   flag post
I know, I know. Once I re-read my last entry it kinda reminded me of that annoying commercial for apartments.com with Jeff Goldbloom.
Sorry about that.
Humbly your fellow collector,
PW.
Post 37 IP   flag post
597935 37 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?