Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

How Many Comics Do You Have?110

Collector Charlieinarizona private msg quote post Address this user
I'm curious, how long have all of you been collecting? And how many comics do you have in your collection?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector pouet private msg quote post Address this user
Collecting for more than 25 years, about 19 000 total
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Approximately 15,000 or so. Really don't have a clue. I have one large room that is absolutely full of long boxes, and I have an office with a very large fireproof safe full of books, and six short boxes full beside it. Plus two four drawer file cabinets full of books. I also have toys, hardback books, rolled up comic posters and framed comic posters all around the house. I even have some cardboard store displays from Wal-Mart and framed displays from Blockbuster when they went out of business.

Heck, maybe twenty thousand books. Who the heck knows for sure. I ain't gonna count them.

I have about 600 or so that I could not live without. The rest. Meh. I would forget them after a short mourning period, if I sold them.

Anyone want to buy long boxes full of copper and modern books, all about 9.4/9.6, and bagged and boarded in mylites? Cheap if you pick them up in person.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
I've been lugging around 3 longboxes for 20 years. In the last 3 years alone I have filled up two more longboxes and over 100 slabs...
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Domogotcomics private msg quote post Address this user
About 800. Just started collecting again about three years ago since being a kid.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Very little, only around 1 shortbox. I just don't want lots and lots of books. They take up so much room.
I would be fine with another short box but that's about it
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector mystrymachine private msg quote post Address this user
I started seriously collecting in 1978 but went through a few long breaks from the hobby. The last break lasted about 15 years thanks to all the 90's gimmicks that turned me away. I started collecting again around five years ago. I currently have about 3500 books.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BillsComics private msg quote post Address this user
Started collecting in 1986 when i was 16 . I have 50,000 comics , about 200 long boxes .
Post 8 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Did have over 4000. But got married and my wife dragged me to live in the states. so I sold all my books but kept 300 books.the cream of my collection. I could only fit 300 books in 3 suitcases when I left Australia. Most books I sold were meh. But I did sell a lot that I may never replace.sniff
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector HOGLEG private msg quote post Address this user
Probably had around 3000 when I was 20 yrs old, but sold them all. Started collecting again three years ago. I now have maybe 1200 raw books and 110 slabs.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Marc_1 private msg quote post Address this user
If I counted, probably about 1,500. Not a ton by any comparison to some.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Treco private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystrymachine
I started seriously collecting in 1978 but went through a few long breaks from the hobby. The last break lasted about 15 years thanks to all the 90's gimmicks that turned me away. I started collecting again around five years ago. I currently have about 3500 books.

About the same time frame and story for me. I'd say I have around 2000 books.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Forgot to say that I started collecting in 1963. The perfect time to start collecting (except for 1939)

But I slacked off when I was in the military from 1972 thru 1980. Then I started back up. Luckily my grandmother (who raised me), didn't throw my books away while I was gone. Unluckily, back in the 60's. I only cared about having a book. Not about condition.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Futureflash private msg quote post Address this user
About 5,000 for me. Started in 1985 and collected up to 2000. Then took a 14 year break and started back up in 2014.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
I have been collecting since the early 90's and I probably have around 10,000 books in my collection that I am slowly trimming down. I have 8 full slab boxes of yellow label CBCS and CGC slabs and 1 full box of blue label slabs all in my personal collection.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector namvet private msg quote post Address this user
I've been collecting for 62 years, but only have around 8,000 books
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I have a little bit under 1500 books. I haven't been collecting long and I tend to prefer to read collected editions so that's more where my focus is.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Bluespeyer private msg quote post Address this user
I've only got around 50. Been collecting for decades and would have hundreds, but sold most of em over the years, keeping just the ones I adore because of their artwork, age, scarcity, whatever. The cream of the crop (around 30 of em) are graded and displayed on shelves in my house. I actually don't plan on acquiring too many more, cause I don't need something else that just sits around in a box. For me the pleasure is being able to admire em -- their covers, anyway -- every damn day.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
I have less than 100, half of which are Warren magazines. I will probably not let the number get any higher than 150, due to space and cost (I am only collecting ECs and minor keys).
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector qube private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe around 10,000 or so?

Enough that I built an extra room on my new house with a closet custom built just to house comics. I underestimated how much junk I've collected though, and the closet isn't large enough...my wife is less than thrilled about it.

I've been reading for almost 35 years now, with about a 10 year break in there which I refer to as my "twenties".

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector techtre2003 private msg quote post Address this user
3,712 (plus a handful I haven't logged yet). Collected modern books back in the early '90s as a kid and just back into the hobby a few years ago.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Comicbookzach private msg quote post Address this user
Right now I'm at 2186 comics, not including doubles. Out of those, 60 are slabs, mostly CBCS. I have been collecting for about 3 years seriously. I also used to get my brother's doubles when I was a kid.

Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Loiselle313 private msg quote post Address this user
A shade over 700. I only started reading books about 3 years ago, and started to seriously collect about 6 months after that. Never read them as a kid. But here I am, loving this hobby!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Been collecting since 1979 with only a minor slowdown from 1987 to 1991 due to University and work away from any comic stores. I have between 12-14,000 comics, trades, and hard covers. I don't have any more really big ticket items as I have sold off most of them years ago as well as probably a few thousand others. If I had never sold anything I think I would be well over 20K.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Charlieinarizona private msg quote post Address this user
This will sound weird, but I have exactly 18,352 comics! I use a program called ComicBase and it was a lifesaver. It took me nearly 4 months to get everything entered in, but now I have a complete list, with grades and values of all my books. I also purchased a bar code scanner and now when I buy new books I simply scan the bar code and the program updates everything.

I also use Collection Drawers from a company out of Denver. No matter what box a book may be in, I can access it by sliding out the box. It really helped me get organized. In 50 years of collecting, this is the first time I am fully organized and know where everything is at and what I have!

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Rivermark private msg quote post Address this user
I currently have 3,665 comics.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Not enough.
Post 27 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
I have alot of GA slabs
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector djpinkpanther67 private msg quote post Address this user
Too many, yet not enough
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Iago19 private msg quote post Address this user
@Charlieinarizona Congrats, very nice and organized.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600522 73 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?