CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Foreign

I love this cover too, but this is crazy!1095

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Debate?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Don't get me wrong, I want this book bad. However, I'm not willing to pass over established Silver or Golden Age books to get it. It just doesn't seem right. It has not earned its rarity through attrition and the ravages of time; they just DECIDED to print only 2000 of them.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Every collector has there priorities. I'm just saying, the value of this book to the collector who wants this book right now is pretty easy to see. Especially if the collector is looking for books signed by Robinson (which are hard to find in their own right regardless of what book it is). Any collector who has their own priorities elsewhere should not scoff at the collector who buys this. You should actually be thankful that this person is buying this instead of bidding against you (the general "you" ) on something that you want.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Any collector who has their own priorities elsewhere should not scoff at the collector who buys this.

Sometimes people scoff at what they disagree with, like Star Wars comics signed by Stan Lee.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Sometimes things just go beyond just having different tastes and are plain redonkulous and deserve to be scoffed. A Star Wars signed by Stan is one of those things.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
I predict it breaks $1700.

Winning bid:US $1,675.00 [ 49 bids ]

Man, I missed that prediction by a measly $25
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Sometimes things just go beyond just having different tastes and are plain redonkulous and deserve to be scoffed. A Star Wars signed by Stan is one of those things.

lol Well, thank The Farce you're here to tell people what they should or shouldn't do

Quote:
Quote:
I predict it breaks $1700.

Winning bid:US $1,675.00 [ 49 bids ]

Man, I missed that prediction by a measly $25

Congrats to the seller, and to the winner if they truly love the book.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
@MR_SigS you could have bought a stack of these variants for $40.00 a pop 4 years ago. Which would have the stronger return?

I bought about 10 copies of BA12 from the CGC forum about 6 years ago. I started selling them 2 years ago, I paid a high of $25.00, the cheapest I sold a copy for was $400.

So while you may feel more "comfortable" your return of investment is far lower. I could have additionally bought 50 copies of walking dead 1 when they were $100.00 and cashed out over $100K.

Think about that.

Oh, there's no question the modern market is great for sellers. The book in this thread is certainly proof of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder

Again though I perfectly understand if you just are not that confident and prefer not to play the modern game. I am just putting out my observations. I have had a few books now that I never thought they would get to be where they are now and at least one of them has only been going up .... for 12 years now

Obviously a true collectible comes out now and then (BA12, TWD1). I guess the problem I have with the Modern game is that there seems to be so many people being pulled into the hobby thinking every book that comes out is going to be a BA12 or TWD1.
Post 33 IP   flag post

Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Obviously a true collectible comes out now and then (BA12, TWD1). I guess the problem I have with the Modern game is that there seems to be so many people being pulled into the hobby thinking every book that comes out is going to be a BA12 or TWD1.

I would say 90% of what has and what will come out is going to appreciate slowly. That means in every decade there are few "key" books. The market is not taking as long to decide what is and isn't key.

Do you really think it is just moderns that pull people into the hobby? You don't think Action Comics #1 selling for over a million bucks has any influence? Do you hear anyone but collectors talking about what variants are doing or how books like NYX #3 and TWD #1 have pushed or breached the $1000 mark in less than 15 years? Do you think that it is only new collectors with the doller signs in their eyes?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:

Speculation always has and always will exist in the hobby as long as money is part of the equation. Gold age and silver age are heavily speculated upon as well. Comments such as "more established" or "sure bet" or whatever other descriptor people have used for those era's books. Fact is there is no guarantee that the bottom won't fall out on any book, in any era. So if people are "investing" heavily in GA and SA books, they run the same risk as someone collecting moderns.

No matter which era you focus your buying on, if you are concerned about value in any way then you have to educate yourself about the market. It doesn't matter if it is moderns or GA.

Another observation, most of the people I know that are making money on the modern market are established collectors (maybe not long time collectors) but they have been collecting for awhile. Many are using the money they make to buy older books which pushes the values up on those books. Just like movies have pushed up the value of many books modern or older. Yes speculation at every level.

Finally, like I alluded to in the previous paragraph, I wouldn't be too hard on the speculator. there is not only a top down effect (people paying big prices on major keys like Action #1) but bottom up effect too (people snapping up "newer" keys and variants) pushing the values of older books up. basically pressure on both end is great for the middle.
Post 36 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
All I know is as long as they keep making new ninja turtle cartoons, toys, and starting over comic book series volumes… I am sitting on a windfall over here.
Post 37 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
Quote:
@Clank What are "real comics"

A comic that isn't artificially (pre-planned) made to be scarce such as a nice silver or golden age key. But I really shouldn't speak for Clank.

So, in other words, what you collect rules and what someone else collects drools.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:

A comic that isn't artificially (pre-planned) made to be scarce such as a nice silver or golden age key. But I really shouldn't speak for Clank.

So, in other words, what you collect rules and what someone else collects drools.
@DrWatson Thank you!

Why does everyone feel the need to snub what others enjoy collecting. I think AF15 is straight garbage, and I feel the same about Spider-man. But I don't sit here telling people they are silly for buying spider-man books when they could be buying Fantastic Four or Batman, or whatever.

Try sharing the hobby, and accepting what others enjoy without making jackassed, backhanded comments.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:

Naa. I say collect what you enjoy. If collecting pre-planned scarce books is your thing and fills your heart with joy then it shouldn't matter what other folks think.

@Resurrection It wasn't my intention to make a "jackassed, backhanded comment" (but I believe the saying goes backhanded compliment). Of course variants are "real" comics too. Feel better now? No need to be hostile just because someone disagrees with you.
Post 40 IP   flag post
@Despain comment, you made no compliment. And who's being hostile.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

I would say 90% of what has and what will come out is going to appreciate slowly. That means in every decade there are few "key" books. The market is not taking as long to decide what is and isn't key.

Do you really think it is just moderns that pull people into the hobby? You don't think Action Comics #1 selling for over a million bucks has any influence? Do you hear anyone but collectors talking about what variants are doing or how books like NYX #3 and TWD #1 have pushed or breached the $1000 mark in less than 15 years? Do you think that it is only new collectors with the doller signs in their eyes?

Pretty sure "so many people" doesn't mean "every new collector", so no, I don't think that.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@Resurrection Well, I've never heard of a "backhanded comment" but I have heard of a "backhanded compliment" so I don't know what you're trying to say. But when you used words like "jackassed" to describe someone else's comments/opinions, that is hostile. I was just adding to Clank's original comment in this thread. I can see now that I've hit a nerve. Listen, just because someone disagrees with your collecting habits doesn't make their comments jackassed. How old are you anyway? Perhaps I am communicating with a child. I don't need this infantile crap at my age.
Post 43 IP   flag post
@Despain 38. Sorry, didn't realize you were so fragile.
Post 44 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS thanks for the clarification.
Post 45 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I think originally he just intended to say that we all collect different things. I accept that most people wouldn't value my Ninja Turtle collection the way I do. I'm okay with that though. I do know what it is to me and to TMNT collectors in the same circle of collectors. Those outside said circles don't get it or the little semantics of each figure and its variant and when it came out, etc. I don't think anyone was trying to be backhanded. I'm not trying to get involved, but as an outside unbiased party it did not seem to me like he was insulting those opposed to his opinion.
Post 46 IP   flag post
I'm fairly certain the TMNT were created by Satan :P
Post 47 IP   flag post
@Resurrection If you're that old you should know how to conduct yourself. Me, fragile? 😅 I was not the one who got all broken over "jackassed" comments that obviously upset you because they differed from your own opinions about collecting.

Man, I don't care what you collect. If you'll go back and read the thread from the start I just offered my opinion when you asked Clank what he meant by "real comics." I have no idea how that was construed as "jackassed."
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I don't think anyone was trying to be backhanded.

Definitely not. My first post on this book was a +1 to Stu's post (about all the books I could buy with this much money). I wasn't aware this book was from 2008, and I admit I forgot Robinson died in 2011. For some reason I thought it was more recent (I do that a lot with celebs), fwiw.

For the most part I hold onto my collection. I'm not the kind of person that sells something shortly after buying it in order to make a profit (and I'm not knocking that either, just saying I don't do it). So when I refer to confidence or comfort, I'm talking about 15, 20, or more years. There is absolutely no question that money is flowing like Niagara Falls in the Modern market right now if you play it correctly.

@Oxbladder I understand what you mean about buyers of books like this not going to 'lose' their money. Thinking on that, it does seem pretty unlikely this is going to be a flip rather than a special part of someone's collection (I hope, anyway). As I mentioned earlier, the final bidders probably don't find $1000-$1700 to be an issue.
If I were to whittle it down, my biggest concern with the modern books are the 'kids' getting in the hobby not knowing what they're doing, dropping a fortune on drek (crappy art and stories), and leaving in disgust. I guess there's more to moderns now than there was back in the 90s, but I still don't get it. But I guess don't need to.
Post 49 IP   flag post
When was Stu here? I see no Stu.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Well worth it imo I'd pay $3,000 if I cared about it like I do TMNT

@kaptainmyke - Just saw this on Neal Adam's web store ... only $35k.
http://www.nealadamsstore.com/Batman-Teeenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Painted-Cover-by-Neal-Adams_p_1359.html
Post 51 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
When was Stu here? I see no Stu.

Stu, Clank, pg13 or my favorite PoorJesse ... it's all the same. He tries 4-5 times a day to use an alias to get in and stir the pot. We try to make sure it's him before we ban the ip and account.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Well worth it imo I'd pay $3,000 if I cared about it like I do TMNT

@kaptainmyke - Just saw this on Neal Adam's web store ... only $35k.
http://www.nealadamsstore.com/Batman-Teeenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Painted-Cover-by-Neal-Adams_p_1359.html

I don't know much about the art market, especially for fine art like this, so I don't know if that price is crazy or not. Being on Adams' site suggests it could be, but I'll just say that's a damn nice painting. Ain't no Bats like a Neal Adams Bats
Post 53 IP   flag post
I would love to own that original Neal Adams Batman/TMNT but I couldn't ever justify that price tag, it cost more than my car.
Post 54 IP   flag post
601212 60 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?