Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

Hypothetical.. "barn find" Golden Age comics1079

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
So let's say you come across ten copies of the same Golden Age comic (circa 1940's). It's not a key or anything special, but the ten comics are pretty close to VF/NM or better, like they had been sitting in a box undisturbed all this time.

You are a loyal CBCS customer and truly believe they have the better product. However, you see that there are only four copies on the CGC census, and it would be nice to see one of yours as "highest graded." On the other hand though, ten more copies popping up on the census overnight would cause the scarcity to decrease, so maybe the census is not so swell after all.

Do you:

A) send all to CBCS

B) send all to CGC

C) send half to CBCS and half to CGC

D) some other plan...
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
E) Send in the nicest one to CGC because you get more for the highest graded copy on their census. Send one to CBCS to keep. Then in a couple of years when people come to their senses about CBCS being better than CGC, send the rest of them in and sell one every year or so.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
So let's say you come across ten copies of the same Golden Age comic (circa 1940's). It's not a key or anything special, but the ten comics are pretty close to VF/NM or better, like they had been sitting in a box undisturbed all this time.

You are a loyal CBCS customer and truly believe they have the better product. However, you see that there are only four copies on the CGC census, and it would be nice to see one of yours as "highest graded." On the other hand though, ten more copies popping up on the census overnight would cause the scarcity to decrease, so maybe the census is not so swell after all.

Do you:

A) send all to CBCS

B) send all to CGC

C) send half to CBCS and half to CGC

D) some other plan...


I send them all to CBCS, naturally. Why keep them quite. I myself have (50) 9.0+ Howard The Duck number 1's which I bought back in 1980 thinking they would be worth a ton in 10 plus years. I won't even go into how many number 2-31's I have in NM condition or how many number 1 HTD magazines I have. I remember when then were only 2 known copies of MARVEL COMICS (Timely/1939), now how many are there.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
#GLOM DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
A) But only after they fix the label.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
A) But only after they fix the label.


I like that answer the best!! :-)
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
would send 1 by 1 every 4-6 months to either of them or both of them. congratulations with your find!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Collector Lunarshade private msg quote post Address this user
I would do A to preserve the books ASAP.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will send one to CGC and the other nine to CBCS. I can then take advantage of CGC's census and the concept of scarcity while still having an unreported supply. CBCS's lack of a census comes in handy this time. In addition, any sales of the CBCS books won't be reported on GPA.

I'll update this thread with the complete story in however many months it takes for these to be slabbed. With the way the queue is, these will be in whatever new label slab CBCS comes up with hopefully.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga I am confused. Was this hypothetical or did you really find 10 of the same book? Can I ask what book it is?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@Darkga I am confused. Was this hypothetical or did you really find 10 of the same book? Can I ask what book it is?


It's real, but as I said it's not a key or special book. Basically I saw an ad, and the person had 10 of said book for sale for a low price. I thought it may be a scam so I risked buying one to see if the condition checked out, and low and behold it did. So I just ordered the other nine, which she stated are in the same condition. Worst case I'm not out of a lot of money, and the thrill of the chase will be worth the price of admission.

I don't want to say the name of the book yet just because I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch. Once I get the other nine and they return from grading with numbers I'll be more forthcoming. I will say that the book has historical significance though, and it's not a super hero book.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
So let's say you come across ten copies of the same Golden Age comic (circa 1940's). It's not a key or anything special, but the ten comics are pretty close to VF/NM or better, like they had been sitting in a box undisturbed all this time.

You are a loyal CBCS customer and truly believe they have the better product. However, you see that there are only four copies on the CGC census, and it would be nice to see one of yours as "highest graded." On the other hand though, ten more copies popping up on the census overnight would cause the scarcity to decrease, so maybe the census is not so swell after all.

Do you:

A) send all to CBCS......yes

B) send all to CGC........no

C) send half to CBCS and half to CGC....no

D) some other plan...
If they aren't worth slabbing, don't slab. It isn't Major Inapak is it?

Their scarcity is what it is. Just because they are not counted in the census of anyone. Does not make them more scarce. If they are in a hundred collections around the world, or all in your house. There is still exactly how many there are. No more and no less.

I'm assuming you meant "perceived scarcity". Which you are translating to a higher bottom line for your potential profits. Is that correct?

If so, I have addressed this subject in other threads. Do you share the info of a find, or do you keep mum until you make as much profit as you can.

I honestly do not know which answer is the better option, morally speaking. But if I find a hundred Honus Wagner rookie baseball cards. I won't be shouting it out to the world. The same goes for Action Comics #1.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
If they aren't worth slabbing, don't slab. It isn't Major Inapak is it?

Yjer scarcity is what it is. Just because they are not counted in the census of anyone. Does not make them more scarce. If they are in a hundred collections around the world, or all in your house. There is still exactly how many there are. No more and no less.

I'm assuming you meant "perceived scarcity". Which you are translating to a higher bottom line for your potential profits. Is that correct?

If so, I have addressed this subject in other threads. Do you share the info of a find, or do you keep mum until you make as much profit as you can.

I honestly do not know which answer is the better option, morally speaking. But if I find a hundred Honus Wagner rookie baseball cards. I won't be shouting it out to the world. The same goes for Action Comics #1.


It's not Major Inapak, but that was a fun read when I just looked it up.

It's more about "perceived scarcity" as you say. I don't think people will be knocking down my door to get these once they are graded, but if they grade high, and with the right marketing on my part, this endeavor could be worth my trouble. Worst case scenario I will hold on to them for 30 more years when they are 100 years old and give them to my grandkids as neat keepsakes.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
Let's see...1946?
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga, On the other hand, depending on just how many collectors out there want that particular book, you'll probably be just fine.
If there are presently only 4 in said condition, and you add say 6-10 to the census, that's not that many in reality. If 10 AF 15's, or 10 Detective 27's or 10 Action 1's suddenly became available, there are enough wealthy collectors out there (IMO) the books would be snapped up quickly. Granted, your books may not be of that stature but with tens of thousands of collectors out there, I believe you get the same price that you would have prior to your books becoming available. 10 more of a 70 year old book won't hurt the market. In my humble opinion.
Whatever you do, good luck and happy hunting!
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Collector Clank private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
So let's say you come across ten copies of the same Golden Age comic (circa 1940's). It's not a key or anything special, but the ten comics are pretty close to VF/NM or better, like they had been sitting in a box undisturbed all this time.

You are a loyal CBCS customer and truly believe they have the better product. However, you see that there are only four copies on the CGC census, and it would be nice to see one of yours as "highest graded." On the other hand though, ten more copies popping up on the census overnight would cause the scarcity to decrease, so maybe the census is not so swell after all.

Do you:

A) send all to CBCS......yes

B) send all to CGC........no

C) send half to CBCS and half to CGC....no

D) some other plan...


If they aren't worth slabbing, don't slab. It isn't Major Inapak is it?


Lol, good call. Since he said GA I won't have to warn him about Heroes Inc #1 either
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga Thanks for clearing that up. Good luck with the grades.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
148782 16 16
destitute