Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestionsSignatures

Walking dead #1 Cynthiana ky variant1036

COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
I have two of these comics i got from the walking dead day in Cynthiana. I was wondering what you all thought they maybe graded at or if was even worth grading. They have both been bagged and boarded since recieved and signed by robert kirkman and tony moore. Any thoughts on what it could sell for graded?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
If they are anything like the WD #1 2011 Wizard World Con Editions, I suspect $75 raw, $150 Red Label VSP CBCS, each.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Last ebay sale for this book with double signatures was $250.00.

Depending on the grade id say $350-400 is well within the realm of possibilities right now. In the future? Thats a good question. However, usually once I book breaks the $300 range it never drops below that.
Post 3 IP   flag post
All sounds great looking to send it for for grading next few weeks I think. Does having the signatures witnessed increase the value once graded vs non witnessed that much?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig
All sounds great looking to send it for for grading next few weeks I think. Does having the signatures witnessed increase the value once graded vs non witnessed that much?

The signatures have to be witnessed by a CBCS authorized witness in order to get a yellow signature label. That being said, Robert Kirkman has a contract with CGC and cannot be witnessed by CBCS. So ALL of his signatures will have the red verified labels.

Honestly, I'm not sure if there is a value difference between witnessed and verified labels. There shouldn't be...but that doesn't mean that people won't seek yellow labels more and pay a higher price.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I was at this and it was really fun! I think these books are worth getting graded if you think they are 9.8 candidates. These aren't the run of the mill convention variants.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector leesoul21 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3
Quote:

The signatures have to be witnessed by a CBCS authorized witness in order to get a yellow signature label. That being said, Robert Kirkman has a contract with CGC and cannot be witnessed by CBCS. So ALL of his signatures will have the red verified labels.

Have to say this is news to me and I just went looking to debunk it and couldn't. I've heard of creators working with, promoting, or leaning with one company over the over but to have someone under contract just so your company can be the only ones able to witness? I mean that's kind of sad. Im curious does CBCS have similar deal with anyone? In any case thank Odin for verification haha.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Honestly, I'm not sure if there is a value difference between witnessed and verified labels. There shouldn't be...but that doesn't mean that people won't seek yellow labels more and pay a higher price.

Thanks for the info didn't know he had a contract with them like that. But if Moore is witnessed and Kirkman is not then how would it be labeled?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:

Thanks for the info didn't know he had a contract with them like that. But if Moore is witnessed and Kirkman is not then how would it be labeled?

It would be labeled red I believe.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
I was at this and it was really fun! I think these books are worth getting graded if you think they are 9.8 candidates. These aren't the run of the mill convention variants.

It was a really good day there. We all had a blast even waiting in line for 13 hours to get them signed. Great picture of the mural as well! I believe they are both 9.8 but I'm not expert by any means.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Kirkman sold out to the man imo
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesoul21

Have to say this is news to me and I just went looking to debunk it and couldn't. I've heard of creators working with, promoting, or leaning with one company over the over but to have someone under contract just so your company can be the only ones able to witness? I mean that's kind of sad. Im curious does CBCS have similar deal with anyone? In any case thank Odin for verification haha.

I'm trying to find the source of my information but I can't seem to find it. It was on this forum...there was a thread that had a couple artists listed on it that couldn't be witnessed by CBCS. They have contacts to be exclusively CGC from my understanding.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector FrankCastle129 private msg quote post Address this user
How can they stop somebody from witnessing it? You could just say their a family member. That's about as absurd as not bein able to take a picture of Stan Lee as he signs your book.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

True but I will give him this that he has gave back to the community he came from.

When the local (Cynthiana) movie theater could no longer show films due to not having a new digital projector he bought them one.

Him and his wife also are opening a b&b in Cynthiana soon.

He also stayed well past his time slot to give away signatures. He didn't have to but he did it free of charge. Moore did charge if you where not there within the two hr slot for free signatures. That being said meeting Kirkman was like he was almost to good for you as Moore was more of a down to earth type guy. Imo. But I love the drawings by Moore better than any other penciler they have had.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCastle129
How can they stop somebody from witnessing it? You could just say their a family member. That's about as absurd as not bein able to take a picture of Stan Lee as he signs your book.

I'm still trying to find the thread with the info...

but from what I remember reading was that all of his signings would have to be private and done by CGC only.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

True but I will give him this that he has gave back to the community he came from.

When the local (Cynthiana) movie theater could no longer show films due to not having a new digital projector he bought them one.

Him and his wife also are opening a b&b in Cynthiana soon.

He also stayed well past his time slot to give away signatures. He didn't have to but he did it free of charge. Moore did charge if you where not there within the two hr slot for free signatures. That being said meeting Kirkman was like he was almost to good for you as Moore was more of a down to earth type guy. Imo. But I love the drawings by Moore better than any other penciler they have had.

I met both and Moore is really nice. We talked a bit about how he knows human anatomy to draw the tendons and muscles on some of his zombies, and how he is a MC Front-a-lot fan. Kirkman wasn't rude but just seemed hurried. While I was watching him, someone from CGC came up and dumped a foot high stack of Walking Dead books for him to sign, then he had to sign autographs, his agent or whoever it was, seemed impatient like they had to get to a meeting. I was introduced to him because I had a gift for him and he quickly signed a poster and did a photo op. After that he was whisked away to some other location by three people.

I have to agree with on Moore's drawings. I love his zombies, how each is different and the details. When they are biting into someone, he draws the flesh tearing and you can see the muscles underneath. Adlard, has a lot of shadows and seems darker. I get that Moore's art looks a little cartoony but it just had more detail.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

It would be a red label but the witnessed signature would have the date and location of the signing just like witnessed signatures but the verified signature woukd just say "signed by" and the name.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
Quote:

It would be a red label but the witnessed signature would have the date and location of the signing just like witnessed signatures but the verified signature woukd just say "signed by" and the name.

Thanks wasn't sure how it could be graded like that
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

oh well, I don't work for him. Who cares? I don't like monopolizing a market. Maybe I wanted red labels with his signature? Get over yourself

This is how a child might respond to their own ignorant comments. I'm done now, come on back and get the last word in. Who cares, right?
Post 19 IP   flag post

Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCastle129

CBCS Witnesses are required by CBCS policies to identify themselves if asked, they are not permitted to lie in order to circumvent the signing policies of a creator.

It would be a smart move if CBCS finds out when his contract with CGC is up and out bid them for a new contract exclusive to CBCS.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke Watch the language. I deleted posts that quoted you
Post 22 IP   flag post
@The_Watcher Sorry I wasn't trying to be offensive that's why I ironically chose that word. Sorry, was just using slang to display my protested opinion of how Robert Kirkman has an exclusive contract with CGC. I seriously wanted red labels of him with CBCS. But again, apologies for inciting an argument and disobeying forum guidelines.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke you mean you wanted yellow labels? There's no reason you can't get a red label.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I meant yellow
Post 25 IP   flag post
I'm researching this. There was a CGC exclusive signing at SDCC, meaning they set up and paid for the signing and therefore they didn't let any competitor witnesses into it. I haven't yet found evidence to back up that Kirkman has an exclusive contract with them. I'll keep looking.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm not going to lose sleep over it brah
Post 27 IP   flag post
I just want to set the record straight. I don't think he is exclusive to CGC, I think SDCC was a one time special event sponsored by CGC and thus caused an assumption to be made.

Here's a Kirkman yellow label on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-WALKING-DEAD-100-CBCS-SS-9-8-SKETCHED-by-ADLARD-SIGNED-KIRKMAN-not-CGC-2nd-/322065646625?hash=item4afc9bc421:g:XtMAAOSwz2lXBYEm
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I just want to set the record straight. I don't think he is exclusive to CGC, I think SDCC was a one time special event sponsored by CGC and thus caused an assumption to be made.

Thanks for clearing this up, I know that I had read it somewhere. I'm assuming that someone made the assumption, passed it on and then thats how I picked it up. Glad to know the truth now though!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Figures. I didn't think Robert Kirkman was like that. Some arguments (and people) are completely unnecessary.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601289 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?