Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

Must go convention?1020

Collector GemCityJess private msg quote post Address this user
What comic convention is a must go for you?

What is it about the show that makes you want to be there?

For me … Heroes, MCCC and Baltimore.

It is only about the comics for me. I don't care to much for media guests. The more comics and creator there are the better the show is.

The one thing I will say is that… Booths at those shows are very expensive. There is no one that is not a professional seller. Sometime I like the small one day shows. Those are places that you can really find a bargain!

http://www.gemcitycomiccon.com/shop
Links straight to my "for sale" gallery.

http://gemcitycomiccon.com/c4s/
Scroll down for "Just the F.A.Q"!

We ship $20 flat, 1 book or 20. insured, signature confirmation.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
@GemCityJess, I like the Mega Con in Orlando. It's got tons of guests, tons of things for sale, it's 4 days and best of all, it's 1 1/2 hours away. It can get expensive if you go VIP.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
I dream about one day getting to go to Baltimore. I have heard it is arguably the best con for comics that you can find.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Baltimore is a lot of fun!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Baltimore is a definite convention to attend! I'm going for my 4th time this year.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Chicago. One of the best conventions for buying books, even with all the celebrities there
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
SDCC is a pipe dream for me.

NYCC would be cool cause I could convince my wife to make it a trip for us so that's be cool.

Baltimore also would be cool few years down the road.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Offbeat_Archives private msg quote post Address this user
@Wolverine If it's any consolation, over the decades SDCC went from my pipe dream to a crack pipe. As Hollywood took over, comics became relegated to the neglected stepchild. Now I am thinking more along the lines of how much I'd love to check out Baltimore, and Mega Con. I've also heard that Eugene Con 1 went well so we'll be giving that a go this Nov. to give it a gander. Not a slam on all the celebs and such but SDCC used to be THE place to go for us comic geeks. Now? Well, we're just comic geeks overrun by glitterati. Well, some of the cosplayers can make up for a lot of the rest.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I wouldn't steer you wrong Heroes is a blast!
Post 9 IP   flag post
@GemCityJess Thanks! On the bucket list it goes.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Chicago & Philly Wizard World are both great
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector DertyComix private msg quote post Address this user
Never been to Baltimore con, but i will make it a point next year. Its a must cuz i only live less than 5 hours away from Baltimore.
Post 12 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I think I have been to almost every show. New York is nice, but it is expensive. The best show, money wise and book wise, is probably Chicago. Second would be Heroes in Charlotte, NC.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Since you've pretty much been all over the place maybe you could give me a bit of advice. What Con would you suggest on the West side of the Mississippi for an old-timer that pines for the old-time feel of the small, all-comic cons. Is there anything that you think would fit the bill? Thanks!
Post 14 IP   flag post
It used to be Emerald City, but then it sold out to Reed Pop. Terry of Terry's Comics does a one or two day show that's suppose to be really good. I haven't been to it, but I've heard really good reviews.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Sounds like a plan then. If we ever end up making it at the same time supper is on me. Thanks a lot!
Post 16 IP   flag post
I've always wanted to go to WonderCon, but it's usually held over Easter. I think it's a Reed Pop show as well.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I have not been to WonderCon in quite a few years but I do remember my last trip as it being a really fun show. If you ever manage to make it here for WonderCon (we are just a short drive south) you've got a place to kick your feet up here with us.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GemCityJess
I wouldn't steer you wrong Heroes is a blast!

I'm glad to see all the love for HeroesCon on here. Working for Shelton (Heroes Aren't Hard To Find) was my first job, back in the day. (And George Perez stopped by the store when he was in town.) Just went to that convention this year, for the first time in years. And had a blast - soooo much fun.

Jess, your profile says you're in Ohio ... do you go to either of the Cincy shows? (I'm in NKY now, so I'm looking to go to at least one of 'em.)
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
There are some Comic cons that should not be recognized as Comicons but more like CULTURE CONS.. Should creteria be set to be reffered as a "COMIC CON?"

That's not for me to decide.

I am in Phoenix and when I saw the Comic lineup Portland's Rose City Comicon had, I knew I had to go. They only had about 35,000 people show up last year. I was like "Whatttt...."

Phoenix Comicon this past summer had 100,000+ people and the Comic Lineup and Hollywood Lineup was extremely weak, but how many people want to be in Phoenix in the middle of summer? George Perez is always a cool guy, but I've met him so many times.

I am not interested in San Diego International or others as I am about Rose City. I'm looking forward to attending more cons.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpoolica
Chicago & Philly Wizard World are both great

The Philly Wizard World is really fun. My wife got the hotel (Marriott, I think) that is adjacent to the convention center the year we went and it was really fun to just pop in and out of there throughout the weekend.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
Baltimore is my favorite. I am trying to get to Chicago and SDCC in the future. Also, Boston was good, Philly is below mediocre, and I would love to get to Heroes.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
I think Boston isn’t quite as good as it used to be in terms of dealers. Rising table costs pushed the smaller, local guys out who would show up with offbeat stuff, and some of the bigger local guys I buy from regularly don’t even bother to bring back issues since they don’t sell as well as discounted trades or t-shirts.

I've always heard good things about Baltimore and Chicago and hope to go some day.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector leesoul21 private msg quote post Address this user
Heroescon is great for the artists/creators size and scope. I'm noticing if you want to go strictly for deals on books it's best to find a nice small to medium sized con still in its infancy. For me this year's was SC Comicon. Crazy deals on back issues and key books! Probably spent $200 on books that would've ran me easily $800+ at other cons. Got two Sandman #8s for $10 total and the best copies I've ever seen, Teen Titans 44 8.5 for $6, a bulk run of back issue Avengers 89-101 for $35 no less than 8.5 or better (which blew my mind, thought he was like for these two or three). The list goes on and on. The vendors definitely wanted their booth cost back day one because it was a honey pot. I'm curious about Tidewater if anyone's been? Baltimore is on my list for next year.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
There are so many must go ...or at least wanna go... cons that it's tough picking between them all.

In spite of it's overwhelming size, SDCC is still a great comic convention that caters to a broad range of comic and media fans with lots of celebrities and special events, but it's expensive (room rates at hotels anywhere near the venue are raised by multiples of four or five during the show). Great nearby restaurants, easy transportation and nice climate are all pluses.

Chicago Wizard is an exceptional all around comic show with decent hotel rates (near O'Hare airport) and an excellent selection of restaurants to choose from near the Stephens Convention Center. It's a great con to meet folks and socialize with good cross section of comic dealers from around the country setting up.

I haven't checked out C2E2 in Chicago, but it's supposed to be an excellent convention as well for comics, with a much larger attendance focusing on a broader spectrum of fandom. Plan on checking this one out next year.

NYCC is an impressive convention (competing with SDCC for attendance) with plenty of comic dealers. Lots of well known guest artists, celebrities, etc., to attract fans. The biggest drawback to NYCC is the location (Javits Center) and lack of hotels and restaurants anywhere near the venue.

I've heard good things about Baltimore and Philly cons, but have attended neither to date. Comicpalooza (Houston, TX) is a promising comics & celebrities show that has possibilities if they could just improve certain organizational problems.

I cold also name off a smaller show or two, but that's for another post.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Joshua373 private msg quote post Address this user
I love Heroes. It's a 7 hour round trip for me and worth every minute. All comics, artists, writers, and creators. I almost no interest in celebrities and Heroes is all about the comics.
Post 26 IP   flag post
598003 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?